PCR: Alu Insertion on PV92 Chromosome 16@headingTag>
Students will take their own cheek cells, to extract their own DNA and run gel electrophoresis to compare their Alu insertions to their peers. This lab uses a large amount of biotechnology methods, great for lab based learning.
- What is the genotype for the PV92 Alu insertion on chromosome 16 of the samples in your team?
- What is the frequency of the PV92 element in the class?
- Collect a cheek sample for DNA extraction with InstaGene Matrix
- Set up a PCR Reaction using a Thermal Cycler
- Perform Gel Electrophoresis
- Determine the genotype of DNA samples
- Calculate the frequency of PV92 Alu sequence
Lab skills learned:
- DNA Extraction
- PCR Reactions
- Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
- Calculate allele frequency